A birth story: Lyca Tauhikupala Latu Nemaia

I‘ve been building up the courage to write about the birth story of my sweet girl, not because I don’t have the time; but because I turn into an emotional wreck just thinking about her sweet entrance into this world. 

My due date was estimated for the 15th May 2016, which was on a Sunday. I remember waking up early on that Sunday morning and thinking to myself, “This is it! it’s time! she’s coming today!”..the day came and gone, and there was no sign of anything. Not even a slight pain that I recognized was odd, nothing. So i thought to myself, its ok..i know a lot of people who are first time mother’s and their babies come couple of days past their due date. 

The first day past my due date came and gone, then the second, third, fourth and eventually I was one week over due. This time, I started to get worried and thinking all sorts of craziness about ‘what if’…
The following week, I went in for my scan and boy did that put away all of my worries! I was able to see my baby still very active, heart beat going strong and getting very big! lol. So i went away that day feeling at ease knowing that my baby is doing fine. Couple of days after the scan, there was still no sign of any contractions. I went to see my midwife and she did a ‘stretch and sweep’ on me, to hopefully speed up the process. There was still nothing. Not one single pain. I think if there was ever a time, I would desperately want pain in my stomach, or period cramps, this would be the time!!! 

I went in again to see my midwife and I was put on some kind of machine to monitor my baby’s heartbeat and also to do another stretch and sweep. At this point, I started to get worried again and the thought of getting induced, scared the heck out of me. My plan of having a natural birth just went out the window. 

The following day, on Friday 27th May 2016 at 10am; I needed to go bathroom. And lo and behold , I had ‘the show’. I was sooooo excited!!! because I knew at this point things are finally happening!! So i went about my day; and about 1pm in the afternoon, I started to feel some unfamiliar pain. The pain came and went and I was like that for the rest of the day. The pain was mostly in my lower abdomen and it wasn’t too serious for me to go to the hospital. It was bearable. 

About 2am in the morning, this was now Saturday the 28th of May 2016; the pain got a little bit more intense. I got out of bed and walked up and down the room and woke up my husband to time how often I was getting these contractions. I was having contractions every 6minutes which lasted about 30 seconds long. At this point, I rung my midwife and let her know that I was in pain and having contractions. 

My original plan was to give birth at the Papakura Birthing Unit since it was close to home, but because I was overdue; I was already booked to be at Middlemore Hospital at 7.30pm on Saturday to be induced. So when I had rung my midwife, she still advised me to go through with my appointment even though I am having contractions. So you can imagine how I feel at this point. 

I rung my Mom and told her I was having contractions and she came home to be with me. Can I just say, that I have the best mom in the world!! I think any mother would do the same for their children, but I was extremely happy and grateful that my mom was there with me every step of the way. The whole day I was having contractions which lasted about 1minute and it came every 4 minutes. But still nothing too serious for me to go into established labour. So it was 7pm, and we made our way to Middlemore Hospital. Before we left, my husband and father in law gave me a blessing which definitely helped me to be at ease and knowing that not only my family is behind me but also my heavenly father. 

When we got to the hospital, my contractions were still the same however, the pain was getting a bit harder and rather more intense. By 8.30pm the nurse came in and broke my waters and hopefully things will start to speed up for me. However when she broke my waters, the colour came out green and immediately I started to freak out!! I knew then that there was something wrong. I was put again in that horrible machine to monitor my baby’s heartbeat and also keep track of my contractions. This time, i could really feel the pain of each contraction. Both my mom and my husband was on each side of the bed; and I held onto their hands between every contraction. 

By 10pm I was moved to another room, ready to give birth. The pain of each contraction was getting so real and lasted a bit longer. I was in so much pain that I finally gave in and asked for gas and air; which in fact made things worse. I felt really dizzy afterwards so i didn’t use it after one go. With every contraction, i tried my best to breathe through it but the pain was getting really painful that I started to get exhausted. The nurse suggested that I try the swiss ball, maybe that would help. So i thought, why not! Yeah, it made no difference. There were all sorts of wires hooked on to me left, right and centre; that the last thing I wanted to do was sit on a ball and sway from side to side with different wires connected to me. So that didn’t work. 

By 12am, the nurse came to check how far I was dilated and to my horror, I was only dilated 4cm!!!! My heart dropped and at that point I literally gave in. The pain of each contraction got the best of me and I was at the point of giving up. I knew I was in for a looooooong day. At this point, I was really exhausted and I could feel my body slowly giving up. I couldn’t handle the pain any longer, so I asked for an epidural. OMGGG can I just say, who ever invented epidural, is a freak’n genius!!!! As soon as I felt that needle go through my back; I watched the clock, 10mins past I was finally able to get some rest. I slept through every single contraction; seriously I was in heaven. So from then on, it was just a waiting game so that I can dilate 10cm and ready to push my baby out. 

However, I woke up because I noticed there were several nurses in the room and I saw the expression on my Mom’s face; that something was wrong. I looked around the room and noticed the machine monitoring my baby’s heartbeat was slowing down. A doctor came in to have a look at the progress of baby’s heartbeat and decided to do a blood test from baby’s head. The test came out positive showing that my baby was distressed and showing that her heartbeat was slowly going down. I looked at my mom and my husband with tears running down my face. The next thing we knew, there were lots of nurses and doctors inside the room preparing me for an emergency cesarean. I didn’t have time to fully take in what was happening to me, but all I remember at that time, was praying that my baby will be ok. 

I was taken into the surgery room, and everyone was rushing to make sure the process was done smoothly and to get my baby out ASAP. The last thing I saw before I was put to sleep was my husband standing on the side. 

I remember waking up feeling numb and couldn’t  feel my legs. The nurse came and asked me questions and I remember the first thing I said was, “Where’s my baby?”.. she reassured me that my baby was fine and that she’s with her daddy. 
I was wheeled back into the room and there she was, my sweet girl waiting for me. As soon as she was placed on my chest, I bursted out crying and was really grateful that she made it out safely. I can’t explain the feeling I had when I finally saw her and finally holding her in my arms. 

That night, the doctor came in to talk to us about my surgery and to apologise that everything happened so fast. I understand they were doing their job and im grateful that they reacted the way they did. She went on to explain that she found something unusual during the cesarean. She found that baby’s umbilical cord was too short and she hasn’t seen anything like it before. She said at first she thought maybe the umbilical cord was wrapped around baby’s neck or body but that wasn’t the case. It was just short. So according to her, that explained a lot as to why I couldn’t go into established labour. That explained why baby’s head was still quite high even though I was having regular contractions and nothing was happening. That explained why her heartbeat was slowly going down because she tried her best to come down but her umbilical cord was holding her back. 

I am grateful that my baby and myself are safe. I am grateful that I have the opportunity to be a mother to this sweet spirit and I can’t believe that she’s all mine. 

Our sweet girl, Lyca Tauhikupala Latu Nemaia was born 29th May 2016 at 3:41am, weighing at 3.79lbs and 50cm long. 

We love you our sweet girl. 

Mommy and Daddy xo 


6 thoughts on “A birth story: Lyca Tauhikupala Latu Nemaia

  1. how amazing to read this lovely story of your sweet baby Lyca…I am so in tears in reading your story and it touch me in every ways Love you my toko and we see you on Sunday… from your favourite aunty and uncle…….xoxo


  2. Ati I read about this a bit before but now that my due date is drawing closer, I find solace and comfort in this beautiful account of yours. Thank you for sharing it, I was in tears and I can't wait to have that experience soon. Ofa atu to you and your beautiful Lyca.


  3. Beautiful birth story Ati and totally expect the unexpected! Awww poor Lyca she gonna be a lil fighter…straight from the womb….awesome you won’t have to worry bout her as it looks like she will hold her own 🙂


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s